If we oppress our partners bad enough and long enough, eventually they will want to leave us and/or hurt us. Therefore:
- Best we not be dictators in our relationships.
- Best we not control and manipulate our partners for our self-interest without any regard for theirs.
- Best we listen to their concerns and address them as best we can.
- Best we attempt compromise and cooperation for the greatest good of all concerned rather than attempt subjugation and domination.
- Best we be fair, generous, nurturing and supportive rather than selfish, self-entitled and self-serving.
- Best we not take them for granted and assume they will put up with our arrogance and abuse.
- Best we make amends when we have been thoughtless, hurtful and unloving rather than defend our position, refuse to admit when we are wrong, refuse to apologize, and thereby compound the problem.
Bottom line: If we want enduring, satisfying relationships, we must replace our oppression with our compassion. Nothing less will suffice.