Custom Search


Reply To This Post         Return to Posts Index           VegSource Home

From: blissfully raw (
Subject:         Re: Doug - Melon
Date: May 9, 2014 at 9:55 am PST

In Reply to: Re: Doug - Melon posted by rawfully inspired on May 8, 2014 at 7:18 pm:

I copied and pasted below something on this topic from on allergies.
In answer to your question, I bought my honeydew from a local farmer's market and was told it was grown in CA. Also organic, juicy, very ripe and very sweet.

Question: My tongue itches and feels swollen after eating fresh melon. Am I allergic?
Answer: Yes, you might be allergic to various types of melons, and you also probably have allergic rhinitis caused by ragweed pollen. These symptoms are most likely due to something known as an oral allergy syndrome, in this case caused by melons. The oral allergy syndrome (OAS) is a form of food allergy that is caused by a person having an allergy to particular pollen. The pollen, in this case ragweed pollen, has similar proteins (called profilins) found in a certain fruit, in this case melons, which causes a person to be allergic to both.

When a fresh melon is eaten, a person may experience itching, burning, or stinging sensations of the mouth, throat and tongue. The symptoms generally last only a few seconds or minutes, as the proteins that cause the symptoms are broken down quickly by saliva. People with ragweed allergy may also notice symptoms of OAS with eating fresh bananas and cucumbers.

Reply To This Post         Return to Posts Index           VegSource Home

Follow Ups:


Post Reply

E-mail: (optional)


Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

See spam or
inappropriate posts?
Please let us know.

Want to see more videos? Subscribe to VegSource!

Every time we post a new video, we'll send you a notice by e-mail.

No spam ever and you can easily unsubscribe at anytime.

Enter your email address, your first name, and press Submit.

Your Email:
First Name:
Newsletter archive

Infomercial production direct marketing