Follow Ups | Post Followup | Back to Discussion Board | VegSource
See spam or
inappropriate posts?
Please let us know.

From: Guy (
Subject: You're on the right track...
Date: May 11, 2003 at 12:55 pm PST

In Reply to: Hmmm, no Crate & Barrel here.... posted by Razz on May 11, 2003 at 12:10 pm:

What you are looking for is essentially a steamer insert without the holes. A company who makes pressure cookers offers such inserts without holes. (see 3rd paragraph-Roland) The drawback to using it is that it is not very deep so not a lot of food can be cooked in it. The bowl at Crate & Barrell is about twice as deep so it would be fine for cooking a couple of cups of rice. I found a store which has a bowl very similar to it and it was half the price at $10.00 It is "The Internet Kitchen KitchenWare Source" Their phone number is
1-888-730-0199 and they have a web url of

I looked on their site & couldn't find it but I actually saw it in the store yesterday. You may want to give them a call and describe it as an egshell colored porcelain, flat bottom, round, 8 1/4" diameter of the outside top rim, about 3 1/2" high bowl. I am sure that they would be able to ship it to you.

Also, like a steamer insert, the bowl sits on top a stainless tripod. I found another place which sells tripods if you do not have one. It is called Roland. Their # is 800-321-2226

If you have a 6 liter pressure cooker there should be no problem with the tripod & bowl fitting with room to spare. I'd have to modify it to work with my 4.5 liter pressure cooker. The top edge of the bowl is about 1/2 too high to allow the lid to be put on.

When using a pressure cooker this way I usually put about 1" of water in the pressure cooker. The level is not critical at all.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

E-mail: (optional)


Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL: