Our Position on Spanking:
Don't do it.
The No Spanking Page
Links to Web and Gopher-Site text on positive, non-punitive child rearing
"Hitting a child is wrong and a child never, ever, under any circumstances except literal physical self-defense, should be hit."
-- Murray A. Straus
- The Center for Effective Discipline , coordinating the NCACPS
(National Coalition to Abolish Corporal Punishment in Schools) and
headquarters for EPOCH-USA (End Physical Punishment of Children)
- "Denmark bans spanking kids" (AP)
Arkansas Democrat Gazette, Friday, May 30, 1997
- Never Violence , by Astrid Lindgren (Pippi Longstocking)
- Ten Reasons Not to Hit Your Kids , by Jan Hunt, M.Sc.,
editor and author at The Natural Child Project
- Twenty Alternatives to Punishment , by Aletha Solter, Ph.D.,
developmental psychologist, mother of two children, international
speaker, workshop leader, consultant and author of The Aware Baby,
and Helping Young Children Flourish.
- Why Do We Spank Our Babies, by Nancy Saltz, "A Mother
and Daughter Page"... The Phenomenal Women of the Web Against
- Spanking: a shortcut to nowhere..., by Penelope Leach
- Don't Take It Out On Your Kids: A Parent's and Teacher's Guide
to Positive Discipline, by Katharine C. Kersey
- Plain Talk about Spanking , by Jordan Riak, Executive Director
Parents and Teachers Against Violence in Education (PTAVE)
- Hitting is wrong - and children are people too : EPOCH
(End Physical Punishment of Children)
- Swedish Parents Don't Spank , by Adrienne Ahlgren Haeuser,
University of Minnesota, Milwaukee
- Declaration of the Rights of the Child , Proclaimed by the
United Nations General Assembly, resolution 1386(XIV) of
20 November 1959
- Convention on the Rights of the Child , Adopted and opened
for signature, ratification and accession by the United Nations
General Assembly resolution 44/25 of 20 November 1989, with
entry into force 2 September 1990, in accordance with article 49
STATUS: Signatories : 140. Parties: 191.
- The UnSparing Rod, by Barbara F. Meltz of the Boston Globe
- CORPORAL PUNISHMENT OF CHILDREN (SPANKING),
by B. A. Robinson, Coordinator, Ontario Consultants On
- Social Change and Trends in Approval of Corporal Punishment
by Parents from 1968 to 1994 , by Murray A. Straus and
Anita K. Mathur, University of New Hampshire, Durham
- Physical Punishment and The Development of Aggressive and
Violent Behavior: A Review, by Elizabeth Kandel (June, 1992),
Family Research Laboratory, University of New Hampshire
- 9 Things to Do Instead of Spanking , from Positive Parenting
- 10 Keys to Successful Parenting , from Positive Parenting
- Deciding to Spare the Rod , from Positive Parenting
- ...Wear the Red or Blue Socks? : National Committee
on the Prevention of Child Abuse
- Teaching Your Child Discipline: National Committee
on the Prevention of Child Abuse
- Do you feel like you are losing it with your children? Remember...
- Alternatives to Physical Discipline , one of the misc.kids FAQs
- Raising Children to Resist Violence: What You Can Do? : a project of
the American Psychological Association and the American Academy
- Corporal Punishment , by Susan Smith, Arkansas Advocates
for Children and Families
- 1995 Survey of Pre-teens , by the National Center for Kids in Crisis
- 1993 Survey of Pre-teens , by the National Center for Kids in Crisis
- An Alternative to Spanking? , by Jordan Riak, PTAVE
- An Open Letter to President Clinton About The Civil Rights of Schoolchildren
- Study finds regional, racial patterns in sparing kids the rod
- Is Corporal Punishment Degrading? , by Robert Green Ingersoll
- Review of Zvi Strassberg's "Spanking in the Home and... Aggression..."
- Re: Hitting is Hitting , a post to alt.parenting.spanking
- Alternatives to Spanking?
- Hitting People Is Wrong... comments by Chris Dugan on a pamphlet by
Radda Barnen of EPOCH
- Review of Dr. Murray Straus' Beating the Devil Out of Them:...
- Spanking increases the rate of street entries by children
- The Art of Discipline , by Beth DeFrancis, The Family Planet
- Discipline: A Parent's Guide : (National PTA)
- Southern Parents Spank Children More Than Northern Parents, Study Finds
- Discipline or Punishment? , a U. of Minnesota "Family Life" pamphlet
- Consequences of Physical Punishment , a "Family Life" pamphlet
- Physical Punishment Has Negative Consequences , a "Family Life" pamphlet
- Using Force in Child Discipline , a "Family Life" pamphlet
- Alternative to Physical Punishment , a "Family Life" pamphlet
- Discipline Through Nurturance , a "Family Life" pamphlet
- "Family Life" pamphlets , a Gopher Menu including 6 more pamphlets
- Teach Gentleness by Being Gentle , W. Virginia University Extension Service
- What Breeds a Bully ? W. Virginia University Extension Service
- Discipline More and Punish Less , Thomas Lee, Ph.D., Utah State U.
- Making Realistic, Acceptable Rules , Elaine Ashcroft, Ph.D., Utah State U.
- The Consequence vs. Punishment , Elaine Ashcroft, Ph.D., Utah State U.
- Discipline... Doesn't Mean Punishment , by Jennifer Birckmayer, Cornell
- How Can We Prevent Violent Behavior? , by Jennifer Birckmayer, Cornell
- "Parenting Class" Lesson Plan , from the AskERIC Parenting Resources