From: hahaha (0-1pool20-119.nas31.philadelphia1.pa.us.da.qwest.net)
Subject: You know you are from Brooklyn if....
Date: February 19, 2003 at 9:17 am PST
1. Went to Saturday matinees at the Oriental, Kingsway, Avalon, Rugby, Sheepshead, Mayfair or Marlboro theaters.
2. Know what the F.W.I.L. on the Lundy's Restaurant in "The Bay" stands for (It's the brothers, Frederick, William, Irving and Louis). 3. Remember submarine race watching at Plumb Beach. Heck, you even know where Plumb Beach is.
4. Played Hit The Penny, Stoop Ball, Skelly, and Potsy.
5. Know, or at least your hips do, what a Charlotte Russe is.
6. Think going "away to college" means NYU, Pace, or Pratt.
7. Went to Murray the K rock concerts at the Brooklyn Fox or the Brooklyn Paramount. Went the night before for good seats.
8. Shopped on Fulton Street and Pitkin Ave. before the mall and all the dreck. 9. Ate at Chock Full O' Nuts Shops. (date nut bread and powdered donuts that were crunchy)
10. Bought bobka at the original Ebingers on Flatbush Avenue. Or Butterbun on Nostrand Ave.
11. Bought Ebinger's Black-Out Cake (and didn't count the calories) 12. Walked along the Coney Island Boardwalk, with a Shatzkins knish. 13. Bought knishes on the beach and didn't mind the sand.
14. Washed it down with a Sunny Boy orange drink
15. Remember Coney Island fireworks every Tuesday night in the summer. Watching from your roof. (Brought to you by 'Shaefer Beer' if I remember correctly.)
16. Bought pickles out of a barrel. The salt made you pucker.
17. Can name all the Brooklyn High Schools. Just try and do that today!
18. Played at ( Eddy) Faber's Fascination and Skeeball - saved tickets for junk.
19. Remember a time when the Greeks didn't own ALL the diners and the Koreans didn't own ALL fruit stands. Except the Greeks on Utica and Church, where you just said going to the Greeks for lunch.
20. Know that NBC's main production studio is on Avenue M.
21. Thought "Buddy's Fairyland Kiddie Park" on Utica Ave. was a major amusement park.
22. Don't speak with an accent - everybody else does!
23. Went to a Bar Mitzvah at the Colonial Mansion, sometimes 2 on a weekend.
24. Had a prom date at the Club Elegante.
25. Swear that Grabstein's Deli had the l-e-a-n-e-s-t pastrami.
26. Drove over the Marine Park Bridge for a 10 cent toll, and Brooklyn Battery Tunnel for 35 cents.
27. Knew who the neighborhood wise guy was, but you'd never tell the cops.
28. Remember Bohack's, Packer's, and Smilen Brothers fruit stand.
29. Know what E.J. Korvettes stands for (Eight Jewish Korean Veterans) 30. Owned a pair of pumps from Miles or National's.
31. Waited for the Good Humor or Bungalow Bar guy to come around your block.
32. Buying knishes from RUBY THE KINISH MAN
33. GETTING A J.D. CARD and feeling like Al Capone.
34. You waited for the rides on a truck to come to your neighborhood for 10 cents a ride.
35. Went to Brennan and Carr for a double dip roast beef that dripped all over you.
36. EATING DINNER EVERY SUN. NIGHT AT FONG FONGS ON CHURCH AVE
37. HITTING TWO SEWERS IN PUNCH BALL
38. Going to Big Daddy's on Coney lsand Avenue as a change from Nathan's
39. Getting a Kitchen Sink at Jahns.
40. Italian food at Collaros on Coney Island Ave.......
41. Playing hide and go seek at dusk.
42. Had roller skates with keys.
43. You made a scooter from orange crates and an old skate.
44. You made carpet guns that shot old linoleum projectiles.
45. You ate at the Horn and Hardart Automat. AND the most important reason that you are a Brooklynite, or at least have the soul of one, is: You're still angry that the Dodgers left!!!
46. Went to Junior's on Flatbush Ave. Extension, ate a small sandwich and had a foot high piece of Chocolate Cream pie with 9 inches of whipped cream on top.
47. Rode the first car of the Brighton or Sea Beach Express with the front window open and the wind blowing in your face (bugs too).
Post a Followup