When I first got married and started having a little fun in the kitchen I came across a recipe for an appetizer similar to this one. I now don’t follow any recipe and instead just wing it on my own, but it’s always a crowd pleaser and it’s simple to make.
1 Eggplant (about the same diameter as your tomatoes)
2 Large tomatoes
4 Yellow Peppers
1 Jar Whole Roasted Red Peppers
Chives – a few long ones and many diced pieces for garnish
- Slice your tomatoes and eggplant, creating 8 full pieces each.
- Slice your yellow bell peppers and roasted red peppers into similarly-shaped round pieces, about the size of your tomato slices. I know this is a little challenging, but just do the best you can. You may want to use a hollowed out soup can to get the right size, and “trace” your knife around the pepper, using the can as your guide.
- Spray olive oil and a little bit of salt and pepper on each side of your eggplant and yellow bell peppers. Broil each side until soft and hot.
- Start by placing a piece of eggplant on a plate, then stack a tomato, yellow bell pepper, and roasted red pepper, another piece of eggplant, yellow bell pepper and top off with a slice of tomato.
- Pour your favorite vinaigrette over the top and sprinkle with chives.