From the American Institute for Cancer Research:
These ten recommendations for cancer prevention are drawn from the WCRF/AICR Second Expert Report. Each recommendation links to more details.
- Be as lean as possible without becoming underweight.
- Be physically active for at least 30 minutes every day.
- Avoid sugary drinks. Limit consumption of energy-dense foods.
- Eat more of a variety of vegetables, fruits, whole grains and legumes such as beans.
- Limit consumption of red meats (such as beef, pork and lamb) and avoid processed meats.
- If consumed at all, limit alcoholic drinks to 2 for men and 1 for women a day.
- Limit consumption of salty foods and foods processed with salt (sodium).
- Don't use supplements to protect against cancer.
- * It is best for mothers to breastfeed exclusively for up to 6 months and then add other liquids and foods.
- * After treatment, cancer survivors should follow the recommendations for cancer prevention.
*Special Population Recommendations
And always remember - do not smoke or chew tobacco.
Visit dietandcancerreport.org to read the WCRF/AICR's landmark second expert report, Food, Nutrition, Physical Activity and the Prevention of Cancer: a Global Perspective, and buy your copy of the full report. The report also includes a CD that contains a complete bibliography and presentation of the data. It can be used to follow the analysis and conclusions of the Expert Report.
- Order the second expert reportor the executive summary.
- Access additional information on the expert report, including the business plan and systematic literature review specifications.
The second expert report is a project of WCRF International.