Think "I could never go vegan"? This is for you.
I promise, there are no weird foods in this vegan day.
Choose from two satisfying hot breakfasts
Toast and Jam
Have as much as you like - most supermarket breads are vegan
Add brown sugar, molasses, raisins, bananas, cinnamon, and/or vanilla
I eat oatmeal every day. I may not be able to wait until breakfast.
You might think porridge needs milk. Did you know that oats are so creamy that you can buy oat milk?
No time to make porridge? No problem! Pour boiling water over oats in a bowl or pot at night. They'll be cooked by morning and only need a quick reheat.
Water, juice, tea
Need a morning snack?
You might not, after that great breakfast. But if you do...
- Apple, Banana, or any other favourite fruit...
- Cashews, peanuts, pistachios...
- Peanut butter and jam (or banana)?
- Lettuce, tomato, avocado with BBQ sauce, ketchup and mustard?
- Marmite and refried beans?
If you've never met Marmite, you'll probably think it's a weird food. But millions of kids love it, and you know how picky they are. It only took me 24 years to like it.
Want something hot? Baked beans or creamed corn...on toast.
- Salted Popcorn
- Pretzels and Mexican bean dip
Maybe you're feeling junk food deprived with all this great eating. Don't despair, vegan junk food is here.
- Oreos are vegan!
- Plain salted potato chips and corn chips are vegan!
- Ritz crackers are vegan!
- Krispy Kreme Fruit Pies are vegan!
- Little Debbie Cake Donuts are vegan!
- Even cute little Sweet Tarts are - you guessed it - vegan.
Here's a whole list for you to drool over.
Of course I don't recommend any of these foods, and I don't recommend being a junk food vegan. But it's not all lentils and lettuce in here.
Easy Asian Rice
- Rice: white or brown or both.
- Veggies you like: maybe broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, carrots, mushrooms, peas, corn...
- Soy sauce
- Steam the rice and the veggies
- Add soy sauce.
- Serve and enjoy!
This might seem to be an overly simple meal - but when it was just DH and me both working fulltime, rice, peas, and corn with soy sauce was an easy enjoyable regular for us. No wonder I love that man.
That's it. Vegan day complete without any weird foods (except the Oreos). That didn't hurt much, did it? The great thing is that it didn't hurt anybody else, either.
If you think vegan food could be more exciting than this starter menu, you're right. Vegan food, just like other food, is just as exciting as you want to make it. Check out:
for more inspiration than you could use in a lifetime.
A long healthy one.