The legal age for a Facebook account is 13, but some days you wouldn't know it. Some days, anonymity, distance, and free access to a keyboard make a few people forget the manners their parents taught them.
Sometimes, even reposting Vegan Wars doesn't work.
Here are some positive tips for in-charge wranglers of all ages.
- Have firm, simple ground rules. Repeat often.
- Remember that there will be arguments, and your best ground rules won't prevent this.
- Stay out of the arguments.
- Practice taking deep breaths and counting to 10 before responding. Or even walk away for a short time.
- Bite your tongue until it bleeds. Point-scoring is not a winning strategy.
- Remember there is always a reason behind freaky, confusing behaviour. Seek that reason instead of reacting to the behaviour.
- Let them repeat their mistakes, even though you will see it coming.
- Remember you can't please everybody.
- Nobody will agree on who started it - just finish it if you can.
- Keep your eye on the big picture
And good luck! You'll need it...