Seven Tips To Do It Right
Compelling scientific findings, published in peer reviewed medical journals, show significant health benefits for dark chocolate and cocoa powder. Here are the major ways that chocolate helps you avoid chronic illness.
- Lower blood pressure
- Make blood clots less likely to form in your arteries
- Reduce the risk of heart attack, heart failure, and stroke
- Increase the distance patients with peripheral artery disease can walk
Other great results
Research studies indicate dark chocolate and cocoa powder:
- Decrease insulin resistance and lower the risk of developing type 2 diabetes
- Increase the antioxidant activity of your blood
- Are anti-inflammatory
- Enhance cognitive function in both healthy adults and in elderly people who already have some cognitive impairment
Scientists are still determining the mechanisms through which chocolate brings about these health benefits. Much interest centers on flavanol, a kind of phytochemical (health-enhancing substance found only in plants) that is particularly high in chocolate. However, this food contains hundreds of other components that researchers have identified, and likely thousands of others waiting to be discovered. So it's a mistake to focus on one or two substances. Instead, you can benefit from chocolate without worrying about all the mechanisms of action.
SEVEN TIPS TO GET THE MOST OUT OF EATING CHOCOLATE