Custom Search


HOMESCHOOLERS: We have some very cool advertisers on this website, and as VegSource is supported by advertising, we're happy about that. If you can't see any ads, you might have an ad blocker, or a setting in your browser which blocks ads from showing up. Consider turning on ads while on vegsource so that you can see what they have to offer, and so that this site can remain free.

Reply To This Post         Return to Posts Index           VegSource Home

From: Scoutmamaof4 (
Subject:         Re: Single Parent Homeschooling
Date: January 5, 2007 at 1:24 pm PST

In Reply to: Re: Single Parent Homeschooling posted by Elizabeth Kollar on January 4, 2007 at 2:22 pm:

I'm from Florida, and we also have three ways to be accountable to the state. First of all we have to file a "letter of intent". After the children are offically registered, we have to prove once a year that we are really home schooling and that the children are making progress.

1. We can keep a portfolio and turn it in for review once a year. I reccomend keeping a portfolio even if you don't intend to use it as proof or your homeschooling. The portfolio can be a record of how many days you've schooled, samples of the students' work, and records of field trips, etc.

2. Have the students evaluated by a licensed Florida teacher. This is also a good option even if you don't intend to use it as your method of accountability. A good teacher can give insight into areas where the children are struggling, and it is more personal than a standardized test.

3. Standardized testing is the third option. I choose this one for my children because it gives a solid record of their progress. Since we use an accredited testing service, we have a record that we could show to anyone requiring proof of the children's schooling.

When my children reach high school age, I enroll them in an accredited high school correspondence school. That way their diploma will never be questioned, and they are "legal" in every way. When my children are enrolled in high school I submit a letter of termination of home school because my children are considered to be in a private school, and no longer fall under the home school laws.

There surely is a web site that gives more detailed "user-friendly" information about what you must do to be legal. I have not had time to do a search...I'm writing from work. You could try doing a search for a home school support league in your area. I'm blessed in that FL has a lot of information out there for potential home schoolers.

Hope you are able to find the information you need. Maybe someone else on this board is more familiar with PA laws.


Reply To This Post         Return to Posts Index           VegSource Home

Follow Ups:


Post Reply

E-mail: (optional)


Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

See spam or
inappropriate posts?
Please let us know.

Infomercial production direct marketing Legacy Films