Custom Search


HOMESCHOOLERS: We have some very cool advertisers on this website, and as VegSource is supported by advertising, we're happy about that. If you can't see any ads, you might have an ad blocker, or a setting in your browser which blocks ads from showing up. Consider turning on ads while on vegsource so that you can see what they have to offer, and so that this site can remain free.

Reply To This Post         Return to Posts Index           VegSource Home

From: Carol Topp, CPA (
Subject:         Re: Homeschooling for income
Date: October 25, 2009 at 6:47 pm PST

In Reply to: Homeschooling for income posted by Aubrey Cowan on August 27, 2009 at 5:14 am:

I get asked this quite a bit and, as you can see from the other replies, answers can vary depending on your state homeschooling laws.

There are legal as well as financial and tax aspects to consider when teaching other peoples' children. Here's some advice I gave to a reader on my blog:

Do some research in three areas:
1. Your state homeschool laws and see if a non-parent is allowed to instruct a child. I imagine it is allowed, but may just have to be reported (we do here in Ohio, for example)

2. Employer laws in your state. A local CPA would be helpful here. The teacher/tutor/governess may be considered a household employee and that has easier tax reporting requirements (like annually, not quarterly filing).† Employer taxes (Social Security and Medicare) will need to be paid.

3. Consult with an attorney to draw up an employment agreement.† Perhaps a professional tutor or nanny/au pair service in your area may have sample agreements to use as a guide.

Carol Topp, CPA

Reply To This Post         Return to Posts Index           VegSource Home

Follow Ups:


Post Reply

E-mail: (optional)


Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

See spam or
inappropriate posts?
Please let us know.

Infomercial production direct marketing Legacy Films