A quick look at cake mixes on the baking aisle of most local grocery stores reveal questionable ingredients, including hydrogenated oils. Since most vegetarians are health conscious, they often search for alternatives that are both healthy and great tasting. However, the results of scratch made items can at times be dissapointing in comparison to store bought ones, which usually contains MSG to enhance flavor.
This vegan chocolate cake is one of those rare jewels that tastes great regardless of how much baking ability you have. Perhaps this is due to it's simplicity, as it has very few ingredients. It actually became popular during the World War II era when supplies where being rationed out and was dubbed 'Wacky Cake'.
Most people already have the ingredients on hand that this cake requires, and it is fun to prepare. You will need:
- 1 1/2 cups of unbleached flour
- 3/4 cup of sugar
- 1/3 cup of cocoa (half of a cup for a darker chocolate cake)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 5 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup cold water
- powdered sugar (optional for topping)
- Put your dry ingredients- flour, sugar, cocoa, and baking soda in a bowl and stir.
- Create three craters in your dry mix and pour the vinegar, oil, and vanilla into their respective holes.
- Add your cup of cold water and stir.
- Pour cake mix into pan and bake 15-20 minutes or until springy.
Sprinkle powdered sugar on before eating if desired. Enjoy!