10 Tips for Low-Fat Shopping
1. Spend most of your time in the produce department.
2. Try new varieties of vegetables and fruit. Look at those with the most intense colors.
3. Don't forget about pasta made from whole grains.
4. Go straight for the bread counter, not the bakery.
5. Buy unrefined, low-fat, sugarless, high-fiber cereals.
6. Don't underestimate nutritionally dense beans, whether dried, frozen, or canned.
7. When buying packaged or canned food, read labels.
8. Buy low- or no-fat snacks; there are many choices. Careful, some are high in calories.
9. Buy small, lean cuts of meat for your transition stages.
10. Skim milk and nonfat dairy products during Stages 2, 3, and 4, and low-fat (1 percent) milk and low-fat dairy products during Stage 1, are allowed but unnecessary.
Back to Contents Page